Our Housing Developments
Include a wide range of property types:
- New construction
- Transit-oriented development
- Redevelopment of urban sites
- Historic preservation
- Adaptive re-use of non-residential buildings
Expert in Complex Financing
The Alpert Group has a long and successful track record securing financing for the development of housing from private investors, lenders, municipalities and local, state, and federal housing programs. Our firm developed its first project under the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s 221(d) 3 Project Based Section 8 Program in the early 1970’s.
Today, The Alpert Group is a leader in the development of housing using federal low income housing tax credits and has developed 20 housing projects totaling over 1,500 units of housing through this financing program to date.
We have extensive knowledge and experience accessing additional financing programs including:
- The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs and New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency’s many state funding resources including Taxable/Tax-Exempt Mortgage Financing, Balanced Housing, Home Express, Special Needs Housing Trust Fund, Downtown Living, and the Neighborhood Preservation Program.
- Mortgage financing through private lenders, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.
- The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s federal funding resources such as the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD), HOME, CDBG, McKinney, Section 8 Rehabilitation, HOPE VI, HOPWA, and Replacement Housing Factor Funds programs.
- Municipal Affordable Housing Trust Funds from localities to address COAH obligations.
- Federal Home Loan Bank of New York Affordable Housing Program.
- Project Based Rent Subsidies including HUD Shelter Plus Care, Section 8 and the New Jersey State Rental Assistance Program.
- Spotlight OnMcCoy Place720 McCoy Rd, Franklin Lakes, NJ
The Alpert Group developed McCoy Place to meet the critical need in Bergen County for permanent, supportive and affordable housing for people with disabilities. McCoy Place is a 40-unit apartment community in the Borough of Franklin Lakes. The design of McCoy Place incorporates special accessibility features that promote ease of living and enable residents to live independently and age in place. All public spaces are handicapped accessible and include entrance ramps, wide hallways and doors. Additionally, the 20 apartments on the first floor are fully handicapped accessible. The community includes an apartment for a live-in manager, offices for property management and social service staff, and a community building exclusively for resident use with space for recreation, education and social programs. All residents have access to individualized case management and linkages to supportive services. The Housing Authority of Bergen County provides project-based rental assistance which makes the apartments affordable to people with very low incomes. McCoy Place was a recipient of the Supportive Housing Project of the Year Award from the Supportive Housing Association of New Jersey in 2018.
- Spotlight OnSt. Bridget’s Senior Residences372 Montgomery St, Jersey City, NJ
Development of St. Bridget’s Senior Residences preserves a valuable local place and history and provides much needed affordable housing in the Van Vorst Park Historic Extension District in downtown Jersey City. The Alpert Group completed the adaptive re-use, rehabilitation and historic preservation of a rectory, convent and school into 46 affordable apartments which retain and celebrate the original structures and spaces with high ceilings, original wood and glass paneled partition walls, and restored and repaired finishes. St. Bridget’s Senior Residences provides affordable and supportive housing for senior citizens, the frail elderly and people with physical disabilities including ADA accessibility throughout the property, meeting space for resident programming and a full array of social services. The three buildings and campus were completely rehabilitated in accordance with the U. S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the treatment of historic properties in conjunction with the New Jersey State Historic Office for Preservation and the National Park Service.
- Spotlight OnHarvard Printing550 Central Avenue, Orange, NJ
The Harvard Printing Project involved the redevelopment of an obsolete brownfield site into a new housing community that is an asset to the neighborhood and a catalyst for revitalization initiatives in the City of Orange’s Central Valley Redevelopment Plan area and Valley Arts District. The Alpert Group developed a new construction, four-story mixed-income residential building providing 128 high-quality apartments for families, including 70 affordable apartments and 58 market-rate apartments. Additionally, The Alpert Group preserved, rehabilitated and adaptively re-used an existing, historic Art Deco factory building into a parking garage and opened and beautified the East Branch of the Rahway River adjacent to the site. The Harvard Printing Project is a transit-oriented development within a short walk of New Jersey Transit’s Highland Avenue train station. The Harvard Printing Project was a recipient of a Smart Growth Award from New Jersey Future in 2018.
Green Design & Building
Protecting the environment and promoting healthy communities have become top priorities for the Alpert Group. We consistently employ best design and construction practices that incorporate energy-saving measures, sustainable materials and green features to protect the environment, foster a healthy living environment for residents, and lower project operating costs and maintenance needs.
- The Alpert Group is proud to be an ENERGY STAR Developer Partner and to offer ENERGY STAR® certified apartments. The ENERGY STAR label means that apartments have been designed to save energy and are built to higher standards than other apartments on the market today. For residents, this means lower utility bills and a home that is more comfortable throughout the year. The ENERGY STAR label gives peace of mind that certified homes have undergone a thorough process of inspections, testing, and verification to ensure that they meet strict requirements set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Learn more about ENERGY STAR certified apartments at www.energystar.gov/certifiedapartments.
- We are also pleased to participate in the Enterprise Green Communities program. Our projects that achieve Enterprise Green Communities Certification demonstrate that they have achieved a significant commitment to approaching green building holistically and have doubled-down on reducing property carbon emissions.